Wednesday, September 22, 2010

One Step Back...

Things seemed to be going better last night. He slept after coming home from the blood test and the terrible seizures he was having on Sunday and Monday night, seemed better. He was on 1/2 liter of oxygen yesterday and I removed it last night because Dear Son had pulled it off and didn't seem to want it anymore. His oxygen saturations were great yesterday and last night. They were fine this morning as well and I also checked them repeatedly throughout the day.
Late this afternoon, he started having some seizures during his nap. At one point, he yelled out pretty loud. I went in to check him and he was sound asleep. By around 7 p.m. or so they started to cluster and have been clustering for the last two hours. I repeatedly used the VNS and also sang to him; for some reason that seems to help relax him a bit even if only momentarily. I checked his oxygen and it had started to fall and was down to 88 so I added a liter of oxygen around 7 p.m. hoping to boost him up. Instead, it's been two hours and his oxygen hasn't improved so I increased it and will watch him. I am not sure why it's dropped since he seems o.k. other than all the seizures. I want his oxygen saturation to increase and stabalize before I reduce the oxygen. Sometimes he needs more oxygen at night but like I said previously, he had been doing fairly well. I am not sure if these seizures are causing some issues for him.
Hopefully, we'll hear back from the doctor tomorrow after he gets the lab work. If not, I'll have to touch base with him to see what else we can do. In the meantime, I gave one of his midnight seizure meds a bit early to see if I can stop these seizures before they get out of hand.


Kathy said...

I've read your blog for at least a year now and have always appreciated your ability to convey the "how does she do it?" aspect of care giving.

This helped me understand my mother's excellent care for my father during his 20+ years of increasing disability.

I appreciate your honesty in dealing with this subject.

You and your son are in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. I'm impressed by how level-headed you remain in the midst of all these medical issues. I'm hoping that this will be a restful night for both of you.

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

I just read what the person previous to me wrote, and I concur: I hope this will be a restful night and a restful weekend for the both of you.
Best regards and blessings,

Dream Mom said...

Kathy-Thank you for your thoughtful comment. I am sure twenty plus years seems like a lot however I view my time with Dear Son as a blessing. Every day, I thank the Lord for giving me another day with him and then I pray that he'll stay well. When you come close to losing someone, you realize how lucky you are.

Anon-Thanks. I'm fairly level headed unless I am in over my head. I usually know when to call 911 or when I am out of my league but most of the time, I just pay attention to Dear Son in terms of how he looks and use common sense. I also watch what they do at the hospital and ask questions. For me, understanding "why" something is done is more helpful than just doing "x".

Gloria-I appreciate all of your support.

Eric said...

Reading your response to the comments,dated the 24th, I assume your son passed the night uneventfully. Has he been in SE in the last few weeks/months? That would be my concern,that it would progress to such.

Dream Mom said...

Thanks, Eric. Yes, my son is doing better now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive