Friday, March 03, 2017

The Rose


I went into Matt’s room last night to give him his 2 a.m. meds and he was smiling in his sleep. I couldn’t help but think about how beautiful he looked.
Special needs kids are kind of like roses.  When they are born, you look around and wonder why you got the rose with all of the thorns when all of the other mothers got perfect flowers. At first, all you notice are the thorns because you are constantly getting pricked and because it’s different than what you were expecting. One day, the rain falls and after the rain, the sun shines just right on the rose and you notice its incredible beauty.  You begin to pay more and more attention to the rose.  It’s different than other flowers because it doesn’t just bloom where it’s planted. It requires different soil, certain temperatures, and different nutrients or it just doesn’t flourish. After a while, you learn how to care for it.  You learn what it likes and what it needs. After many years, you don’t even notice the thorns because you learned how to handle it without getting stuck. Now, you only see its incredible beauty. The rose didn’t change over time, you did.  And that is the beauty of these children.  They are not here for us to change them, but for them to change us.

4 comments:

Janet said...

So true, Dream Mom! Thank you for sharing.

Rennie said...

Beautiful writing as always

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, dream mom.
Hoping your knee surgery went well.

Dream Mom said...

Thank you so much! I never had the knee replacement. When they did the pre-surgery testing to have my knee replaced, I found out I had uterine cancer and had to have surgery. The uterus was large and high and they had difficulty getting it out so they ended up doing an abdominal surgery. It was a 5.5 hour surgery and I was pretty chopped up. It took a weeks to recover. The cancer is gone and luckily it was a stage 1 but I had to put off my knee replacement. My ex-husband fell on black ice in February and severed his quadricep tendon and had to have immediate surgery. It was a tough recovery plus I had to help him and Matt. In August, he had his hip replaced which went well. Since one of us has to care for Matt, I couldn't get it done in 2018 but I wasn't ready. I am finally feeling better and hope to try again in September to have it replaced. I need both done but I am going to aim for one for now. I have to get hand surgery first since I believe they injured the nerves in my hands from the long surgery. Thanks for reading. Have a good holiday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

StatCounter