Monday, June 27, 2011

Home from the Hospital

Dear Son was released from Big Academic Medical Center yesterday. They will treat him as if it were osteomyelitis so he'll be on antibiotics for another four weeks. The antibiotics are given every 8 hours and Dear Son gets all of his other medications every 6 hours so essentially, I'll be giving meds 6 times a day (6 a.m., 8 a.m., noon, 4 p.m., 6 p.m. midnight). The antibiotic needs to be every 8 hours so he can maintain the level in his system so there isn't room for any variation there. Giving meds 6 times a day plus getting up to turn him over at night will be a pretty tough schedule on top of getting up at 3:48 a.m. to start feedings on school days. I'll try to take a picture of Dear Son's foot but he's sleeping right now and I can't get a photo. It looks much better than it did when we went in althought it still varies a bit.


They have told me that it will take weeks for the swelling to go down and for the color to return. In a normal person, it might take 7-10 days however in a person like Dear Son, whose circulatory system is compromised, it will take longer. I wanted to know what symptoms would be a red flag for me so I would know when I need to call someone. They told me I need to call them if for any of these three things: fever, increased redness or increased pain.


We have three follow up appointments scheduled: infectious diseases, orthopedic surgery and pediatric neurology. I think we are covered, lol.


It's good to be home. Today, Dad will come over and I will go out and get the shelving for the laundry room.

1 comment:

Janet said...

So glad he is home and hope the recovery is going nicely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

StatCounter