Monday, November 01, 2010

PC Virus and Other Stuff

Shortly after I came home from work today I discovered that my Yahoo email had been hijacked and an email was sent out from me to people in my address book with a link to a Canadian Pharmacy site. If you have received an email from me, please delete it immediately; I have since learned that this is the Kneber Virus and I am working on removing it.

On a different note, Dear Son is having some issues again. Last Wednesday, I noticed that Dear Son was retaining fluid and his stools were getting harder. In addition, his urinations had decreased. I thought I had discovered the source of the issue and was giving him more Miralax to get him back to normal. By Friday evening however, Dear Son started to cry out in pain quite a bit. His stomach was not only bloated but hard. I could feel a mass in there when I pushed on it so I knew that was a problem. I decided to remove his Scopolamine patch and manage his secretions with an anti-histamine that the doctor had recommended a while back. It helps dry up secretions in his throat (his throat muscles are deteriorating and he can't swallow so he'll choke on his own saliva if he doesn't have anything to dry it up). I started to get a little nervous when I was feeding him via the gtube since all of this fluid was going in but nothing was coming out (urinations). Although I was fairly confident I was doing the right things, if I was wrong, his intestine could burst and he'd die of sepsis. (Dear Son had similar issues earlier in the year when he had urinary retention due to the Scopolamine patch. )

I decided to page the doctor to make sure my plan of action was correct. I wasn't sure if he needed to get an x-ray (to see if there is stool in there) or if I needed to decrease the rate of his feedings. The doctor recommended that I decrease the rate of the feeding and give him an enema.

Things improved on Saturday and things started to clear out a bit. He was urinating regularly and had a few small bowel movements. On Sunday things slowed down and by today, he hadn't had a urination in some 30 hours, and that was after he had an enema. I paged the doctor late this afternoon and he made some suggestions so hopefully Dear Son will be feeling better soon.

I probably won't post for the next day or so since I have my hands full so to speak but will try to resume posting later this week.

Note: Dear Son is eighteen years old and suffers from seizures, dystonia and severe developmental delay as a result of a random mutation of the ARX gene. He also has a progressive neurological disorder and is in the later stages of the disease.


deb said...

Hi, Dream Mom-
I got one of those emails from you. I opened it and saw it was from some strange Canadian Pharmacy service, so I knew immediately that you'd be 'hijacked'!. Thanks for the heads up.

I hope that Dear Son feels better soon. Update us when you can.


deb said...

Oops- I meant that you'd BEEN hijacked. just call me fumble fingers! :)

Dream Mom said...

Thanks, Deb.

Anonymous said...

Dream Mom:

Will be holding you both in prayer.

(((hugs))) Thim

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

First of all, that's scary with the email hijacking. I am glad you got it resolved. You know the problems I've had with my blog! Second, I am so sorry to hear that your son has been having those problems! I hope by this time, since you wrote the post earlier in the week, that he is doing better. Man, you must be exhausted after all the worrying about him. You deserve a medal. But, of course, it is your boy, so I know you wouldn't have it any other way. I will say a prayer that he is feeling totally back to normal by the time you read this. Please keep us posted! Take care.
Best regards and blessings,

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive