Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Make a Wish Trip Approved~This is what he'll be doing!

Picture of Dear Son in the swimming pool at summer school a few years ago. His aide is holding him and his teacher is behind him.

In a few weeks, Dear Son will be doing this...swimming!

We took Dear Son to the neurologist today. While we were there, I told him that I'd like permission for Dear Son to go on his trip. I said that I didn't think Dear Son would get any better if we waited and there is a good chance that if he got sick again, he'd never be able to go. Also, with Dear Son's Scopolamine patch, he can't be out in the sun or he'll overheat so we need to go before it gets too hot in Florida. He agreed. I contacted our sponsors today and they'll be getting back to us soon. As you may recall, we'll be going to Disney World and staying at the Give the Kids the World Resort. We were scheduled to go last November to celebrate his 18th birthday however he got the swine flu one and viral pneumonia one week before we were scheduled to leave. Instead of celebrating his birthday in Florida, he was on life support in the ICU.

Prior to his hospitalization, we got a life vest for Dear Son so he could go swimming. You can see how relaxed he is in that photo however now that's he's grown, we needed to get him a proper life vest that wouldn't slip off. The life vest we got, was a bit challenging to get on so I had it altered a bit. In addition to zipping up the front, it also zips up the side. I had trouble getting his arm in the armhole of the vest, not because it was too small, but because Dear Son doesn't move very well and can't slip his arm into a vest like we would. To make it easier, I had a side zipper put in. Now I can lay him down, put the vest underneath him and zip it up on the side and the front without having to bend his arm. We plan on taking him swimming in Florida so he can relax.

I also asked permission for Dear Son to attend school one more day a week. He gave approval for him to attend up to 1/2 day, two days a week. I think we'll have to space it out a bit, say maybe a Tuesday and then Fridays. That would give him some recovery time in between.

All in all, a good day.
Update: The Make a Wish people contacted me today. They have already booked the hotel and are booking the flights.


Anonymous said...

Yay! What good news! And what a clever thing to do, getting that side zipper put into the life vest!

We will be praying that Dear Son is ready to go, and has a WONDERFUL time! :)

Anonymous said...

I needed some good news today and this made me smile... YAY! I'm excited for y'all!!!!!!!!!!!

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

How exciting that you guys are getting to go on your trip! I can't wait to see the pictures and hear all about it. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's great news, I'm really happy to hear that!

Lori x

Banana Anne said...

ALHAMDULILLAH!!!! (This means "praise be to GOD"; Muslims say it when we hear good news, and this is definitely terrific news!) I am so happy to hear that you still have plans; being in the water sounds like the perfect way for Dear Son to relax!

I hope everything works out for you all, and that you make some lovely memories!

Michelle said...


Jaymie G said...

I am thrilled for y'all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive