This will be quick since I am short on time.
Yesterday, we had some setbacks. When they decreased the PEEP settings on the vent, it was a little hard on Dear Son and they had to increase the oxygen back up to 50%; the setttings remained there all day. At 2:10 a.m. Wednesday morning, Dear Son began having seizures which they treated with Ativan since the VNS did not control them. Around 7:15 a.m, he began having seizures again however his blood pressure went way up to 202/110 and remained there. They gave him 4mg of Ativan total and then had to call Ped Neuro Doc. Labs were taken again, he was given a bolus of a seizure med and late in the day, he increased one of the seizure meds after the labs came back. Dear Son has trouble when he lies on his right side since he has a right lung pneumonia.
The central line has begun leaking however they are watching it and they areo.k. with it.
Chest x-ray looked better yesterday; keep in mind chest x-rays lag behind.
I spoke with the Section Chief of Infectious Diseases yesterday. He's in charge of prescribing the antibiotics for Dear Son and is an expert in fevers and all kinds of infectious diseases. They will discontinue the Tamiflu now and after he's off the vent, discontinue the Vancomycin and Zosyn.
He also had a discussion with me regarding a trach for Dear Son to keep the airways clear. I will not do a trach for Dear Son and will explain my position on that (as it relates to Dear Son) at another time when I have more time. I told him I was very comfortable with my decision and that I had researched it and had many discussions on the topic with several folks some time ago.
In summary, Dear Son remained on the vent. He had to stabalize a bit before they can extubate him and ideally, they'd like to see the PEEPs decrease to 5 or 6 with an oxygen of 40% before they extubate. They may try to switch the vent setting to a C-Pap setting to see if he can handle that. Either way, when they extubate him, he will require Bi-Pap support or additional support.
I can't say that I felt too great about things yesterday however the Attending Doc remains confident that they can get him off of the vent.
I am not feeling very well myself hence all of the running back home. I have an ear infection, sore throat, cough and generally am feeling pretty miserable. I started on some antibiotics yesterday.
Today's Dear Son's 18th birthday. We won't do anything today since he's unconscious. I did tell him we'll have a party when he's well.
Thank you for your continued prayers and support for Dear Son. I did get a few more questions answered regarding the Swine Flu but I'll have to share them another day. I have 15 minutes to get out of the house and back to the hospital. I greatly appreciate all of your comments. I am sorry I can't respond to any of them. Thank you for your e-mails as well.