Thursday, May 21, 2009

Dear Son Update- Home!

Photo of Dear Son's hospital bed.

Dear Son was released on Tuesday afternoon, once the 24 hour EEG was completed. The EEG was a mess; it showed subclinical seizures (meaning the patient doesn't shake outwardly but the brain is still seizing) 24 hours a day. As you may recall, when the vagus nerve stimulator (VNS) was replaced, they start the settings lower and work their way up until it is at a therapeutic level for the patient. Because the battery on the prior VNS was low, the settings were really high to compensate for that. They can't set the new VNS to that level, since it could be too high, hence the start at a lower level. As a result of the EEG, Ped Neuro Doc increased the settings and increased one of his seizure medications and they'll send someone out on Friday for seizure drug levels.

The ambulance transported Dear Son home. Since Dear Son's VNS incision is not fully healed, Dad could not lift Dear Son into his SUV to take him home since he might tear the incision. Without a wheelchair van, Dad has to lift Dear Son under his arms to get him into the vehicle.

Once we arrived home, Dear Son sat in his favorite rocker. I turned on his music carousel, the one that he got for Christmas, and he layed his head on the table and smiled. Our cat, Wiggles, came over and gave him a big kiss (sniff) and I helped Dear Son pet him. Dad arrived and gave Dear Son a bath and then Dear Son went to bed.

He will return to school for a half day today and a full day tomorrow. Tomorrow is, "Fun Friday" and Dear Son's favorite day at school. They do all sorts of fun activities from dancing (he gets to pick his partner) to color bingo, his favorite. I thought it was important for him to have some fun after everything he has been through. School has been great throughout this hospitalization. I talked to the Program Nurse yesterday and we agreed to have Dear Son go for a half day today and if Dear Son gets through the half day, he can go a full day tomorrow. If it's too much, they'll arrange for transportation for another half day tomorrow. Due to the holiday on Monday, he'll have three days to rest up before next week. Next week, will be a series of half days so that should make it easier for him.

Thank you for all of your love, prayers and support for Dear Son. I know all of that, coupled with his good medical care, made all of the difference.


Poppy Q said...

Oh we were so glad to hear the good news about your dear son. Home in his own bed - that must be nice.

We hope the shool days go well and you get to relax over some of the weekend.

Smooches and hugs.
Julie and poppy Q

Daisy said...

I am so glad to learn that Dear Son is back home!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Dear Son!!!!!

Many hugs to you both.

Anne K.

Lois Grebowski said...

YAY! Glad to hear Dear Son is home. I hope they get his levels on his meds and VNS straightened out.

jeanie said...

I am sorry that I haven't been around the blogs traps very frequently of late, but this excellent news is so wonderful.

Hugs to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive