Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dear Son Update

Today was a long day. Dear Son had a ten minute seizure at school and the paramedics were called. He had been having more seizures lately and we had just visited Ped Neuro Doc last week. At that time, they took some readings from his Vagus Nerve Stimulator (VNS) to send to Cyberonics (the VNS manufacturer) to see if the battery on his VNS needed to be replaced.

Dear Son had been having increased agitation and seizure activity for the last few days. It had been decreasing somewhat since Sunday. Sunday evening he had become very agitated kicking the walls and unable to settle down. This is totally out of character for him. He would sleep for fifteen minutes, then become extremely agitated, then fall asleep for ten minutes, and the cycle repeated itself. Dear Son's Dad had him Friday and Saturday night and had some issues with Dear Son's medications that may have prompted some of these issues. By Monday evening, things were slightly better although I was up every forty minutes for the entire night.

This morning, school called and I rushed to the hospital. It's always stressful when these things happen. They are required to take Dear Son to the nearest hospital, which in this case, is across town from where we live. I always get stuck by one of the freight trains that pass through one suburban town. Today wasn't any different. In addition, I am not very familar with this area so I have a hard time remembering how to get there, especially when I am in a hurry and under pressure.
When I arrived at the emergency room, there was a Program Administrator waiting in the lobby to greet me. I had never met her before so when she was there, I thought Dear Son had died. I hate when they do things like that. I went back in the ER, saw Dear Son and spoke with his teacher. He didn't look very well. Of particular concern today was the description of the seizure. It was not one like he normally has and that alarmed me.
The ER took labs and followed up with our Ped Neuro Doc. Dear Son was released and we came home around 1 p.m. He slept at the hospital and has been sleeping ever since. He probably won't be up until the morning. Often times after a seizure, they will be tired.

Hopefully, tonight will be quiet. I expect things will improve with the increased meds.


Chari said...

Ohhh no...I'm so sorry to hear about your son having the seizure today that led to him being hospitalized! I will certainly keep him in my prayers and if you don't mind, I'll add him to my daily prayer list! I know that you must be terribly sorry, honey! Being new to your blog, I read up on your son's diagnosis, etc. that you have on your side bar.

I sure hope that he's getting some good rest tonight...and you too!!! My heart sure goes out to you...

Warmest wishes,

Anonymous said...

I hope his situation improves and thye can bet to the bottom of this.

Big hugs, Dream Mom...

Claire said...

I hear you, mine has been weird too. I swear it has something to do with spring...seems to happen every year worse around this time. It must be the energy setting them off...and the random teen hormone thing. Sleep is precious. Hang in there.

Daisy said...

Oh, what a bad scare you had! I hope your son is feeling better soon. I'm sure he is glad to be back home from the ER.

Marie said...

Sorry to hear about your bad day...I hope your son feels better and I wish you both a lovely weekend with no worries...lots of rest!

Poppy Q said...

Dear Dream Mom,
I am sorry to hear that Dear Son has been having a rough couple of days, and we hope that the new medications help to control the seizures and give him and you some rest.

We are sending you big hugs from across the oceans, and we will be thinking of you.

Julie and Poppy Q

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive