Thursday, June 01, 2006

Part III-A Mother’s Day to Remember

Today’s chest x ray is worse, as if that were an option. I have never seen a chest x ray like this one before. It consists of his head and then it’s solid white from the neck down. There are no ribs or anything on the x ray. It looks like a mistake but it’s not. They have diagnosed him with a MRSA pneumonia and Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. I’ll learn in a day or so that he was in septic shock as well. His blood pressure is unstable. They have tried to control it with blood pressure meds but it’s not working. Dear Son’s blood pressure continues to drop. He desperately needs a transfusion. They ask me again, or pressure me rather, and I decline. I have lots of questions and I don’t feel comfortable asking them with ten of them (there is one attending and multiple residents) and one of me. I feel like I am being bullied. I just want a familiar face or at least a one on one with someone. I don’t begin to understand the seriousness of this issue and won’t until a few days from now. If they had presented it to me differently, I might have responded much quicker. In the meantime, they continue the blood pressure meds. His glucose is now unstable as well. They have started him on insulin. His body is retaining fluids in all the tissues. They add the pressure boots to his legs to reduce the swelling. He doesn’t look much like Dear Son anymore. I think his face or jowls, that he has now, make him look more like John McCain. I hate John McCain.

It’s Mother’s Day today. The sun is shining in on Dear Son’s hospital bed and it looks to be a glorious day. Dear Son however looks horrible. He is hooked up from one end to the other. If I were to be truthful, he looks like a corpse with a bunch of attachments hooked up to him. I think to myself that this is not really living and wonder if I am being selfish in wanting him to live or if it’s right that they are saving him. I really don’t know the answer to this. I desperately want to kiss him but am scared of the vent tubing. I look at him up and down and try to find an open spot to kiss him. He’s got IVs in both feet, the boots on his legs, a catheter, his g tube, a central line in his hip, an arterial line in the other wrist, a blood pressure cuff on his bicep, multiple monitors on his fingers and hands, a ng tube out his nose and the ventilator tubing taped across his face. I kiss him on his knee and tell him I love him. I love him so much. It’s really hard to see him this way. In a way, it seems like he’s already gone.

Good Morning America, the weekend edition, is on television. They show a female soldier’s two sons and have the camera on the sons so they can see their mother. The little boy, who appears to be around five or six, is supposed to wish his mother a happy Mother’s Day. Instead, he begins to cry because he misses his mother. The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) nurse sees this part while attending to Dear Son and asks why the little boy on t.v. is crying. I tell her he’s crying because he missed his Mamma and hadn’t seen her since Christmas. I mention that it’s Mother’s Day and suddenly Dear Son’s eyes squinted a bit as if he were trying to open them and finally one eye partially opens and he looked at me. Dear Son’s eyes had been closed for a few days now. He had been learning about Mother’s Day at school these last few weeks so I know he purposefully opened his one eye to wish me a Happy Mother’s Day. That was the kind of son Dear Son is. He’s very loving and adores his mother. The feeling is mutual.

The PICU Attending Doc arrives in the lobby of the PICU. She has lots of bright yellow and pink tulips in vases for someone. One of the staff delivers one of the vases to me and tells me it’s from the Attending Doc. She bought them for all of the mothers on the floor for Mother’s Day. God bless her heart. I am almost in tears now. I have told Dear Son for years that my two favorite things are flowers and little boys. He would always laugh at me. I find the doc and thank her. She says, “I am sorry you have to be here on Mother’s Day but I wanted to bring you some flowers and wish you a happy Mother’s Day”. I couldn’t think of a nicer thing to say to a mother today. This woman hit the nail on the head.

I spend the day praying. Actually, it was more like begging. I begged the Lord not to take Dear Son on Mother’s Day. Of all the days to take him, this would be the worst. I decide that this would be the absolute cruelest thing in the world that would ever happen to me and pray that it won’t come true. I would forever have Mother’s Day as the death of my only son.

I easily remember my first Mother’s Day when Dear Son was only six months old. He had spent three weeks at this same Big Academic Medical Center when he was only eight weeks old and Ped Neuro Doc had taken care of him. He started on ACTH therapy and had improved. I was so grateful for that. I held him in church on that Mother’s Day and tears streamed down my face as they played “On This Day O Beautiful Mother”. I loved being a mother and was thankful that he was alive. I had never felt more beautiful than I did on that day.

The Rounds occur. They tell me it’s a MRSA pneumonia. Not only that, they tell me the x ray looks worse than yesterday. I can’t imagine how much worse it can look, but take their word for it. I’ll learn later in the week that they had twelve MRSA pneumonias here last year. Seven died. Enough said. I think back to my first day at the local hospital when I asked for the MRSA screen. Why couldn’t they have put this together and figured out it was a MRSA pneumonia? Or at the very least, that they were in trouble? I am angry but let it go. Dear Son is still in big trouble.

The Attending Doc comes in to meet me and asks for the transfusion. She tells me his hemoglobin is 7.5 and they can’t stabilize the blood pressure. I tell her that I wonder how safe they are. She says they are safe but I need more information that that. I ask her if I can donate. She says that would take a few days to test the blood and we don’t have time for that. She says there is only a very, very small risk of contracting Hepatitis C or HIV from the transfusion and that they are safe. I tell her that I won the gene lottery with Dear Son and that if there was a minute chance he would get this gene mutation too. I tell her that I am not a lucky woman when it comes to this kind of thing. I ask where the blood comes from and she doesn’t know. I think she should know the answer to this question, meaning what blood bank they use, etc, etc, but I don’t butt heads with her. She is trying to help Dear Son. She explains that in her country, the doctors can just do what they feel is needed for the patients, and don’t have to ask the parents permission. In America, she says, it’s different. I wasn’t trying to be difficult, it was more that I wondered if a transfusion was really necessary. I tell her I will think about it.

Hours pass and I decide that it’s not worth it to debate this transfusion. I tell her that I’ll sign off on the transfusion and to have someone bring me the consent papers. I decide that it’s more important for him to live than to worry about the transfusion. Also, I really don’t want him to die today. Not on Mother’s Day.

Continued….Part IV-The Conclusion

2 comments:

Wrkinprogress said...

Dear DM,

I have read the last three posts, unable to imagine how you've gotten through this. I know there's a happy ending, but this reads like made-for-tv movie. I'm so very sorry you have had to deal with such a difficult path lately. I pray nightly that you and Dear Son will have peace, and will continue to do so. I think if everyone had a Mom like you, we'd have so much fewer problems in this world. I know I'd want you in my corner if I were in need of care.

Bless your heart,
WIP

Anonymous said...

I'm reading this and I'm speechless. Lost it when DS opened his eye on Mother's day. Just reiterates what a special, loving child you raised...apples don't fall from the tree.

Hugs and love, Lois (Jean)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

StatCounter