Sunday, July 04, 2010

Happy Fourth of July~A New Recipe and Tablescape

Welcome to Tablescape Thursday, which also happens to be my birthday (July 8th). This week I thought I'd share my fourth of July tablescape although I originally published this on Sunday.
I saw this recipe on the July newsletter from my apartment complex. It's called a "Watermelon Berry Star Cake". I thought I'd make it for today.
To make the it, you take one watermelon (at least 10 pounds) and cut a three inch slice from the center. Using a 7 inch star template or freehand, cut a star shape. I simply cut off the rind and then used a knife to score a star shape and when I was happy with it, cut the shape all the way through. By scoring it, if you don't like it or make a mistake, you can simply score it again since you'll cover it up with the whipped cream.
Wash the watermelon and pat dry. Set on a paper towel to drain excess water.

Next, place the watermelon on a cake plate for serving dish. Pipe whipped cream or a light frosting around the bottom edge of the star and the plate. Dot with blueberries. Frost the top of the star. (My blueberries were frozen and I had thawed them in the refrigerator. It would work better if you just used fresh ones since the thawed ones were a little watery. I usually eat my blueberries with oatmeal, which is why I had some thawing in the refrigerator.)
Place raspberries, blueberries and strawberries on the top of the star. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. While it wasn't in the original recipe, I decided to add a flag on top of the watermelon to give it some height and additional color.
You can refrigerate it until you are ready to serve however I would recommend that if you were making it for dessert, that you slice up the watermelon and have it on the cake plate. You can cover it until you are ready to serve dessert. At that time, you can add the piping of whipped crea, along with the berries and flag. It was a big challenging to photograph since I had the candles lit and it was melting the whipped cream.
Until people arrived, I used a simple centerpiece consisting of a red vase with white roses. I placed the flag in the center.For the tablescape, I started with a white tablecloth and topped it with white tulle and tied it with a powder blue organza ribbon. I love the way it dresses the table.
Next, I added blue placemats and star candleholders. I liked the silver candles to bring a little glitz to the table for the "festivities".

I used my white Spode Mansard china along with small Arcopal salad plates. I purchsed the plates on eBay. They photograph well and I like the look of blue toile.
I finished the tablescape with some blue goblets and some blue and white candleholders.

All in all, a simple tablescape for the fourth of July! If you would like to see more tablescapes, please visit Susan at her blog, "Between Naps on the Porch".

12 comments:

Vicci @theplaidbasket said...

Very nice! Love the red vase, blue goblets and the salad plates. I tried to click on the picture to see the pattern of the plates close up (tired eyes ;) ) but it didn't work. thanks for sharing your pretties.

Melissa Miller said...

The star watermelon cake is truly spectacular and looks yummmy.
I adore your tablescape and the way you gathered the white tablecloth edges so nicely. It is all just beautiful. Lovely job!

Thank you coming by sweet friend. I really appreciate it. ~Melissa :)

Happy Birthday! ~Enjoy!

Donna (Timeless Settings) said...

A very pretty table! Happy Birthday!

Donna

Carrie said...

The watermelon centerpiece is so pretty... and yummy!

Mimi said...

What a lovely table, blue and white just can't be beat.

Tricia@The Dull and the Dutiful said...

Happy birthday! Your table for the Fourth is lovely -- so elegant AND festive! And what a fun dessert -- thanks for explaining it so well!

craftyles said...

I love it. The red vase is perfect and the whole table is very festive!

Barbara said...

Happy birthday! I like how you did your tablecloth. That dessert looks delicious!

marlis said...

wow love the cake.. your blue goblets are great and I think your toile plates are teriffic.

Boogieboard Cottage said...

You did a very nice job putting everything together, I really like your dishes! Mary

April - Team Tottle said...

Beautiful table! I found you from your comment on Passionate Homemaking http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/07/a-tour-through-my-kitchen-my-top-10-or-only-kitchen-tools.html/comment-page-1#comment-28685
I also have the Zojirushi bread maker but have had problems with the bread deflating using the recipes that came with the machines. Do you have a "no-fail" recipe you could send me? I'd really appreciate it. I know it takes trial and error but I'd rather have success within a few tries rather than throwing away tons of bread.

Dream Mom said...

April, I just sent you an e-mail. I'd be glad to share.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive