Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Tablescape Thursday~Festive New Year's Tablescape

Welcome to Tablescape Thursday, hosted by Susan at her blog, "Between Naps on the Porch." This week, I decided to break out my box a little bit and create a less formal and more fun tablescape. I found these hand painted plates at Home Goods and loved the bright red poppies with the gold background. I wanted something that would still look nice with all of my Christmas decorations, which are cranberry and gold and yet something a little different. These plates are pretty amazing. If you look closely, you will notice the wave of the plates. In person, the waviness, which looks more like the rings that are created when you toss a rock in a pond, catches the light and looks quite glamorous. The plates are high gloss which is a little hard to tell in these photos. The sheen adds richness to the tablescape.
To keep it more casual, I decided to forgo the tablecloth and just use placemats. I started with red plates, added the gold chargers and used my red heart shaped placemats that I purchased last year for Valentine's Day. Next, I added a gold tablerunner to break up the table a bit. I added a tall, red, glass vase and filled it with gold Christmas ornaments, then some red poinsettas around the base, keeping with the holiday theme. I love how the gold ornaments look red when viewed through the vase. I repeated the gold in the rim of the water goblets. The crystal water goblets add a touch of shimmer to the tablescape. Next, I added two plates at opposite ends of the runner.
Then, in keeping with the red heart theme, I added these shiny, red, votive candleholders. When the candle is lit, the light shows through the candle. It mimics the heart shape of the red placemats. While this could look like a Valentine's Day tablescape, I am pretty sure that no one will mistake it for that since there are four place settings. I wanted to use the votive holders because the red shimmer added to the tablescape.

I love the little red poppies on the inside of the mug. So pretty. I think it adds interest to a tablescape when you have little details that people can see when they sit down at your table.


Another view of the tablescape and the heart shaped placemats and votive candleholders. I love all of the red in this tablescape. It makes it look happy and festive.


Another view of the tablescape.


One last view of the room.

I hope you enjoyed my festive, New Year's tablescape. I think this would be the perfect place to have some dinner along with some good laughs. You can view more tablescapes here.

15 comments:

Lois Grebowski said...

Loving the red poppies...

ellen b said...

Those red poppy plates are eye popping great! Love the red with the gold. Everything looks wonderful together.
A very Happy New Year to you and yours!!

Liz said...

Your table is so pretty. It would very easily transform to a Valentine table! Your mirror behind the table is to die for!

Happy New Year!
~Liz

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

So pretty -- who knew that poppies and poinsettias would look so pretty together? Wishing you a wonderful new year and many blessings!

Sharlotte said...

You're right, this is such a festive table. I love the mix of poppies and poinsettias...so pretty. I took a peek at your home too, everything is just lovely. Thanks so much for sharing. Happy New Year!

susan said...

I love those red poppy plates and they definitely look hand painted. The gold must makes them "pop" :)

Entertain Exchange said...

I love those plates. I have wanted to buy them several times but, keep telling myself I don't need them...they are fabulous!

I have been reading a few of your posts about your son. My teenage son also has disabilities and things have been tough lately. It sounds like it is not easy for you either. All we can do is love them and have hope for each new day.
Happy New Year to you!
Susan

Michael Lee West said...

What a gorgeous tablescape. I love the poppies with the gold touches. Up close and far away, it's beautiful. I have poppy dishes somewhere, and you've inspired me to find them. Have a happy New Year!

Sarah said...

The red poppy plates would put a smile on anyone's face. Beautiful!

Dining Delight said...

So pretty! Those poppy plates and mugs are beautiful! I love it when you can get more than one look with dishes and you have created a gorgeous Christmas 'scape with them now but they will be fantastic for Valentine's like you said, or even a bright summer-y setting.
Happy 2010!
DD

Jeanette said...

The poppy plates are just incredible. The entire table is just festive and happy. Have a wonderful new year.

Canucker said...

Love the tablescape! Wish you and DS a Happy and Healthy New Year. All the best to you in 2010, Dream Mom!!

Canucker

Susan said...

Hi DM. I hope that you, DS and DD have a good new year. I was so happy to see the pictures of DS awake.
I Love the tablescape, especially the red poppy plates!
Susan

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

What a pretty table you've set! I love all of the red and gold you've used...perfect for the holidays. Thanks for sharing and happy TT to you!

Lady Katherine said...

I just love love this setting! Oh, the poppie dishes are lovley! I have a Monet with poppies. How I wish there was a Home Goods near me, they would be on one of my tables in a minute! Lucky you! Just beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

StatCounter